[Rock-dev] Adding ExperimentMarker and ExperimentMarkerComment to Base?

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Wed Aug 31 10:47:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 09:52 +0200, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:

> On 08/31/2011 08:48 AM, Alexander Duda wrote:
> > I think this is a really missing feature in rock replay. After looking
> > into the implementation. I have the following remarks.
> >
> > * all functionality concerning the marker handling should go to the
> > stream aligner (add_marker, next_marker, ...)
> > * the marker streams should not be aligned with the other streams
> > (discussible) instead the class Log::Replay should auto detect them by
> > type and a user defined regular expression for the name and should add
> > them to the stream aligner
> A requirement of the marker stuff is that it should *not* rely on having
> a pocolog stream for markers. Any list of markers "with the right
> interface" should do. I.e. plain Ruby objects should work fine.
> Moreover, we should be able to "merge" marker streams.
> I agree, though, that Log::Replay should be able to look for a
> corresponding pocolog stream and add it automatically.
>
> I don't understand: why, if you don't want to align the markers, you
> would want the API to go on the stream aligner ? In my mind, markers are
> just bookmarks, i.e. they allow to name a time. Then, you can tell the
> system "go to XYZ" instead of "go to 14:03pm".

+1 the StreamAligner should be independent of Marker streams.
The idea of adding a generic bookmark handling to the stream aligner is
that it could implement it in an efficient way (it knows about the
internal structure of streams). If we can use the standard seek
functionality. I agree we should put it into replay.

StreamAligner:
a = create_bookmark(time)
seek(a)

Alex