[Rock-dev] Feedback from a new user

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Thu Feb 10 09:44:15 CET 2011

On 02/09/2011 06:48 PM, Martin Zenzes wrote:
>>> * when doing "autoproj --help", the printed options are prefixed by a
>>> double-dash, which is not needed when when giving the options
>> ???? They are indeed needed (just checked to be sure)
> whop... a, the additional option "--reconfigure" is displayed, and I
> read it before reading the lines before... My fault...
Yep, reconfigure is available both as an option and as a mode
   autoproj reconfigure
or
   autoproj build --reconfigure

>>     http://rock-robotics.org/orogen/task_states.html
>>
>> but I guess this is too far down the page. We'll have to think about a
>> way to make it clearer.
> Yes, that's deep down the rabbit whole... never got so far
Where do you think it would make more sense ? What did you *actually*
read before you got into the problem ?
>> I don't think it is a bug in omniorb, and I'm really not sure whether
>> that was the real problem or not. In any case, when using orocos.rb, you
>> should not have any need to fiddle with corba settings.
> Hm. It took me quite a while to figure that out, and I can't reconstruct
> what went wrong in the first place. This variable was not always set, so
> it can't be the root of the problem. Maybe it had something to do with a
> unsourced "env.sh" file? Or something with meshing omniOrb into an
> Ubuntu-system without restarting? Just guesses, though...
Since stopping omniorb using scripts in /etc/init.d failed, my guess is
that omniorb did not start properly / was blocked somehow.

>> autoproj status shows what would be changed in every package.
> Ah, I see. Cool. But "autoproj status" somehow chooses a local branch
> (not master) to check against autobuild, which doesn't exist remote...
autoproj compares the local branch to the branch it is supposed to track
remotely. The autoproj configuration specifies what branches should be
tracked (have a look at autoproj list-config) and autoproj compares HEAD
to that.

If you want *your checkout* to track another branch, you have to add it
to overrides.yml
   http://rock-robotics.org/autoproj/advanced/customization.html

>> Do NOT use this link (how did you get it in the first place ?) It is
>> grossly out of date. Uptodate documentation is on rock-robotics.org
> Oh, just a habit to google everything. rock-robotics.org seems not
> ranked high enough yet...
In any case, it reminded me that I must remove all references to rock
software from my previous projects (in particular github) and point
people to rock-robotics.org

--
Sylvain Joyeux
Space&  Security Robotics