[Rock-dev] Feedback from a new user

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Thu Feb 10 09:57:20 CET 2011

On 10.02.2011 09:44, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:

>>> ???? They are indeed needed (just checked to be sure)
>>>
>> whop... a, the additional option "--reconfigure" is displayed, and I
>> read it before reading the lines before... My fault...
>>
> Yep, reconfigure is available both as an option and as a mode
>     autoproj reconfigure
> or
>     autoproj build --reconfigure
>

>>>      http://rock-robotics.org/orogen/task_states.html
>>>
>>> but I guess this is too far down the page. We'll have to think about a
>>> way to make it clearer.
>>>
>> Yes, that's deep down the rabbit whole... never got so far
>>
> Where do you think it would make more sense ? What did you *actually*
> read before you got into the problem ?
>
>>> I don't think it is a bug in omniorb, and I'm really not sure whether
>>> that was the real problem or not. In any case, when using orocos.rb, you
>>> should not have any need to fiddle with corba settings.
>>>
>> Hm. It took me quite a while to figure that out, and I can't reconstruct
>> what went wrong in the first place. This variable was not always set, so
>> it can't be the root of the problem. Maybe it had something to do with a
>> unsourced "env.sh" file? Or something with meshing omniOrb into an
>> Ubuntu-system without restarting? Just guesses, though...
>>
> Since stopping omniorb using scripts in /etc/init.d failed, my guess is
> that omniorb did not start properly / was blocked somehow.

No there is a bug, i know this bug since half an year ~year (never
reported sorry).
if i directly start an orocos application in commandline (without ruby,
i get the error:

goldhoorn at mgoldhoorn:~/dev-avalon/drivers/orogen/xsens_imu/build$ ./test
0.434 [ Warning][TaskContextServer()] CTaskContext 'driver' could not
find CORBA Naming Service.

So i need to run it with:
goldhoorn at mgoldhoorn:~/dev-avalon/drivers/orogen/xsens_imu/build$
ORBInitRef="NameService=corbaname::127.0.0.1" ./test

everything works fine, so omniorb is running but it seems there is no
(or an wrong) default Value for the nameserver. It should be set to
127.0.0.1

>>> autoproj status shows what would be changed in every package.
>>>
>> Ah, I see. Cool. But "autoproj status" somehow chooses a local branch
>> (not master) to check against autobuild, which doesn't exist remote...
>>
> autoproj compares the local branch to the branch it is supposed to track
> remotely. The autoproj configuration specifies what branches should be
> tracked (have a look at autoproj list-config) and autoproj compares HEAD
> to that.
>
> If you want *your checkout* to track another branch, you have to add it
> to overrides.yml
>     http://rock-robotics.org/autoproj/advanced/customization.html
>

>>> Do NOT use this link (how did you get it in the first place ?) It is
>>> grossly out of date. Uptodate documentation is on rock-robotics.org
>>>
>> Oh, just a habit to google everything. rock-robotics.org seems not
>> ranked high enough yet...
>>
> In any case, it reminded me that I must remove all references to rock
> software from my previous projects (in particular github) and point
> people to rock-robotics.org

Greets,
Matthias Goldhoorn

--