[Rock-dev] Rock Package Directory

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Thu Mar 3 09:22:37 CET 2011

On 03/03/2011 09:03 AM, Alexander Duda wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 00:10 +0100, Willy Lambert wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> I just discovered that Rock contained lots of stuff to interface
>> Hardware. Are this component usable ouf of the rock toolchain ?
>>
>> Mays I just "copy paste" the component like :
>> http://rock-robotics.org/package_directory/orogen_tasks/canbus__Task.html
>> in a classic orocos_toolchain ?
> Hi,
>
> Each component consists of a library which is independent from any
> framework and an orocos(rock) integrations part. In your case:
>
> orocos independent part:
> http://gitorious.org/rock-drivers/canbus
>
> orocos integration part:
> http://gitorious.org/rock-drivers/orogen-canbus
>
> Since the orogen-canbus depends on the rock toolchain you can not use it
> right a way in a classic orocos_toolchain. But you can use the library
> to write your own integration in a really straightforward way. If the
> library is not fulfilling your needs please feel free to contribute.
I may add, that since orogen is part of orocos since 2.0, you can
directly use it without using the the rock toolchain (e.g. autoproj).
You won't get interpackage dependency management a.s.o, but you could
easily use the driver (as alex mentioned) as well as the module in a
setup independent of rock.

cheers,

Jakob