[Rock-dev] eigen on 32 Bit machines and rock base types

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Thu Mar 24 13:08:37 CET 2011

On 03/24/2011 11:40 AM, Alexander Duda wrote:
> I am using eigen on a 32 Bit machine and running in lots of unaligned
> array asserts. Is there any reason why for example RigidBodyState does
> not have a EIGEN_MAKE_ALIGNED_OPERATOR_NEW macro call. Or is it just
> missing.
You can't use it for types that are going on the RTT dataflow. Look at
the orocos-dev (or orocos-users) mailing list for an extensive
explanation and discussion.

The solution we have is to not use any aligning-requirements on the
eigen types, that's why base::Vector3d != Eigen::Vector3d (the first is
not aligned while the second is).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to do that for Eigen::Quaternion in
Eigen2. Eigen3 allows it, and has been released, but some migration is
needed. You could try ...

See

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=3.0#API_changes_between_Eigen_2_and_Eigen_3

for possible problems during migration.

> Is no one using it on a 32 Bit machine?
Some people were (i.e. Ajish) and ran into the same issues than you
have. One temporary option for you would be to compile all eigen code
with the EIGEN_DONT_ALIGN and EIGEN_DONT_VECTORIZE preprocessor macros
defined.
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics