[Rock-dev] 2GB + Autoproj + Ruby 1.9

Chris Mueller christoph.mueller at dfki.de
Mon May 23 12:44:15 CEST 2011

Hio,

i have currently some performance issues with autoproj for building my
complete setup
for AVALON and RIMRES. Some bigger packages always seems to consume all
of my available
2 GB RAM and it's impossible to run other application because the
building process take of the
complete control of my notebook and freezes (until i abort the process).

After that i start cmake manually and it works fine without blocking the
complete system.

I'm not sure if 2 GB RAM are addressed to be insufficient, but i'm
currently searching for improving
my current situation.

I'm playing with the idea to switch to the newer Ruby 1.9 branch in
order to benefit from the more
effective interpreter implemenation (and hoping it's garbage collector
is a little more efficient).

Unfortanetly switching to another ruby version is also a little risk to
break the setup because of
some incompabilities. Before trying i would like to ask if there are
already some people here
using the complete rock toolchain with ruby 1.9 and can share some
experiences.

Best Regards
Chris