[Rock-dev] 2GB + Autoproj + Ruby 1.9

Janosch Machowinski Janosch.Machowinski at dfki.de
Mon May 23 13:10:16 CEST 2011

Hi Chris,
the problem is not ruby at all. If you look at top,
you'll see that ruby takes only a few megs. The
problem comes from gcc. In heavily templated
code gcc can take up to 1 gig of mem per thread.
As autoproj spawns per cpu in the system one
thread, you'll may need a lot of memory if you
own a dual or quadcore. The solution is setting
Autobuild.parallel_build_level = 1
in the init.rb in the autoproj directory.
Greetings
     Janosch

On 23.05.2011 12:44, Chris Mueller wrote:
> Hio,
>
> i have currently some performance issues with autoproj for building my
> complete setup
> for AVALON and RIMRES. Some bigger packages always seems to consume all
> of my available
> 2 GB RAM and it's impossible to run other application because the
> building process take of the
> complete control of my notebook and freezes (until i abort the process).
>
> After that i start cmake manually and it works fine without blocking the
> complete system.
>
> I'm not sure if 2 GB RAM are addressed to be insufficient, but i'm
> currently searching for improving
> my current situation.
>
> I'm playing with the idea to switch to the newer Ruby 1.9 branch in
> order to benefit from the more
> effective interpreter implemenation (and hoping it's garbage collector
> is a little more efficient).
>
> Unfortanetly switching to another ruby version is also a little risk to
> break the setup because of
> some incompabilities. Before trying i would like to ask if there are
> already some people here
> using the complete rock toolchain with ruby 1.9 and can share some
> experiences.
>
> Best Regards
> Chris

  Dipl. Inf. Janosch Machowinski