[Rock-dev] 2GB + Autoproj + Ruby 1.9

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon May 23 20:36:49 CEST 2011

On 05/23/2011 12:44 PM, Chris Mueller wrote:
> I'm not sure if 2 GB RAM are addressed to be insufficient, but i'm
> currently searching for improving
> my current situation.
The culprit are two files in the RTT package that take ~ 900M each to
compile. I asked on the orocos ML whether there was a way to "serialize"
the build of these two files in CMake in a portable way, but with no
results so far.

> I'm playing with the idea to switch to the newer Ruby 1.9 branch in
> order to benefit from the more
> effective interpreter implemenation (and hoping it's garbage collector
> is a little more efficient).
There is no need to switch on any branch. The current master is supposed
to be compatible with ruby 1.9

The garbage collector in 1.9 is as bad (they are exactly the same), but
the interpreter allocates less objects (so, in the end, it does behave
better).

I run on Ruby1.9 ON THE ROBOTS, as -- as Matthias mentioned already --
there are no prebuilt QtRuby packages for ruby 1.9 (i.e. ruby 1.9 for
headless things and ruby 1.8 for GUIs)
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics