[Rock-dev] 2GB + Autoproj + Ruby 1.9

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Tue May 24 12:22:43 CEST 2011

On Monday 23 May 2011 20:36:49 Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 12:44 PM, Chris Mueller wrote:
> > I'm not sure if 2 GB RAM are addressed to be insufficient, but i'm
> > currently searching for improving
> > my current situation.
>
> The culprit are two files in the RTT package that take ~ 900M each to
> compile. I asked on the orocos ML whether there was a way to "serialize"
> the build of these two files in CMake in a portable way, but with no
> results so far.

We found no portable way to express this is cmake. The only thing we can do is
split these up in smaller files.

In addition, the merge of the rock master branch has caused a regression such
that we need even more memory now to compile typekits. I can't quantify this,
but we had a case where the BFL typekit could be compiled on laptop X against
toolchain-2.3 but not against master, due to memory constraints.

Also, building with clang only takes half of the memory as gcc.

> > I'm playing with the idea to switch to the newer Ruby 1.9 branch in
> > order to benefit from the more
> > effective interpreter implemenation (and hoping it's garbage collector
> > is a little more efficient).
>
> There is no need to switch on any branch. The current master is supposed
> to be compatible with ruby 1.9
>
> The garbage collector in 1.9 is as bad (they are exactly the same), but
> the interpreter allocates less objects (so, in the end, it does behave
> better).
>
> I run on Ruby1.9 ON THE ROBOTS, as -- as Matthias mentioned already --
> there are no prebuilt QtRuby packages for ruby 1.9 (i.e. ruby 1.9 for
> headless things and ruby 1.8 for GUIs)

Peter