[Rock-dev] Proposal: Rock Apps

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Thu Oct 13 14:52:59 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 01:47 PM, Alexander Duda wrote:
>> What I personally want to push with apps is a "functional view" of Rock,
>> which is IMO orthogonal from the "component view" we have. In ROS, this
>> is done with stacks. However, stacks don't do the trick for me as they
>> apply on both the "software package" and "system functional" aspects.
> Ok, I see your point.
> I was thinking of an app in a different way than you do. You have
> obviously roby/supervision in mind in contrast to that I was thinking
> more of normal run scripts and GUIs.
I also would put normal scripts and GUI there. The point being that you
stop having this (artificial) separation between the two, allowing to
share stuff.

There are a lot of workflows where the base system can be started using
the supervision, the final setup (and/or test, calibration procedure)
being done by normal ruby scripts. Other things: GUIs obviously also
apply to systems running under Roby, ...

> Have you had a look on https://kepler-project.org/? I have the feeling
> your propose is going into the same direction. You want to share work
> flows. If this is the case the word rock-app is maybe misleading.
After a quick look, I don't understand what you mean by that. I want to
create a "Rock workflow". However, the term "workflow" in this sentence
has a different meaning that in Kepler. In Kepler, a workflow is
basically a data processing network (what we create in Rock with Orocos
components). In my meaning of the word, I'm talking about "development
workflow", i.e. a way to organize data, models and scripts to develop
robotic software.