[Rock-dev] Plan for integration of ROS nodes into Rock

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Thu Sep 1 17:01:20 CEST 2011

On Thursday 01 September 2011 12:36:33 Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> One of the goals of the Virgo project will be to seamlessly use ROS
> nodes into a Rock system. I'm starting to look at the "how".
>
> Here's a brief summary of the current plan:
>
>     https://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/OngoingWork/ROSIntegration
>
> Comments are welcome

(please post the non-https url)

It looks sensible to me. Just for clarification:

- allow building ROS stacks in autoproj ? Will you use the concepts of stacks?
- What do you mean by 'orogen type' ? is it a C/C++ header with data type defs
? Would this mean that you want to support a work-flow, where the user looks at
a ROS message, then specifies a similar C struct (independent of ROS) and then
allow orogen to 'map' these ? Wouldn't it be sufficient to generate a ros-
independent C/C++ header from the ROS .msg file ?

- Why do you want to implement service calls ? (cfr not using operations)
- What do you mean with not supporting dynamic reconnections of ROS nodes ?

Peter