[Rock-dev] <offlist> ESA SOCIS RTT/Rock RTEMS

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon Sep 12 10:59:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Joel Sherrill<joel.sherrill at gmail.com>  wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the RTEMS maintainer and one of the original developers.  I am interested
> in any RTEMS related project.  Would you and your advisor mind including me
> in the loop?
>
> If you need RTEMS help, feel free to ask me.
>
> I am especially interested in this project, as we need more "hands on cool"
> demos of RTEMS.  So if there is a kit we can put together to show off both
> projects, we would be happy to acquire one (if it isn't too expensive).

Hi Joel.

One of our projects at DFKI is running Rock on Gumstix using Debian/ARM,
in particular doing things with the Gumstix camera module. As far as I
could see, RTEMS does run on gumstix ARM CPUs, so that could be a nice
showcase for it.

So far, I would not plan for having Anita do that, though, (problems
with both time and getting her hands on a Gumstix), so we would need it
to be a "side project" (more long-term). What do you think, Anita ?

Our main driver for proposing this project was that one of our colleague
works at DFKI but is funded by ESA, and DFKI is working a lot with ESA.
Since ESA robots are running RTEMS, that was a logical choice to (1) do
work for cross-compilation of Rock in general and (2) get Rock running
on RTEMS. However, this kind of hardware definitely does not fall into
the "cheap" category ...