[Rock-dev] gitorious down

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Wed Aug 22 11:19:19 CEST 2012

On 22.08.2012 11:05, Alexander Duda wrote:
> On 08/22/2012 10:48 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
>> On 22.08.2012 10:39, Alexander Duda wrote:
>>> At the moment gitorious.org is down. I guess now is the pain big enough
>>> to think about a different distribution strategy.
>>> By the way a backup is on the build server.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>> Since we could override the push url's in autoproj we could push to
>> gitorious by default, and pull from an local one-way mirror?.
>> If we need to supply patches fast we need in this case manually push
>> also to our local server, or trigger an update from our local server?
>>
>> Thougs?
>>
>> Matthias
>>
> I was more thinking of putting everything on spacegit and mirroring
> overnight to gitorious as we have no other upstream than ourself at
> the moment. If the mirroring fails overnight because of commits on
> gitorious someone has to manually merge it. Further more I would tar
> the hole rock installation (all gits) and upload it to a public server
> to speed up installing rock which is a pain right now. I was also
> thinking of automatically creating a virtual box image for people
> which just want to play around with rock.
>
> Alex

I definitely against this, this will cause merges, and if rock becomes
more widely used it will be terrible to merge local and remote ones.
So i suggest the other way around, using the local mirror only as and
synced gitorious one. In this scenario only local merges could occur and
have to solved by the user, without administrator.

Sync-Way:

Client -> Gitorious
Gitorious -> mirror (on hourly/daily sync)

If 2 people work on the same package and push only to gitorious, the
should update from-gitorious, or even if the push fail merge manually
locally.
In this scenario the local mirror can delete in case of problems, and
need no manual administration.

Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn