[Rock-dev] gitorious down

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Wed Aug 22 11:33:52 CEST 2012

On 08/22/2012 11:19 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
> On 22.08.2012 11:05, Alexander Duda wrote:

>>> Since we could override the push url's in autoproj we could push to
>>> gitorious by default, and pull from an local one-way mirror?.
>>> If we need to supply patches fast we need in this case manually push
>>> also to our local server, or trigger an update from our local server?
>>>
>>> Thougs?
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>>
>> I was more thinking of putting everything on spacegit and mirroring
>> overnight to gitorious as we have no other upstream than ourself at
>> the moment. If the mirroring fails overnight because of commits on
>> gitorious someone has to manually merge it. Further more I would tar
>> the hole rock installation (all gits) and upload it to a public
>> server to speed up installing rock which is a pain right now. I was
>> also thinking of automatically creating a virtual box image for
>> people which just want to play around with rock.
>>
>> Alex
>>
> I definitely against this, this will cause merges, and if rock becomes
> more widely used it will be terrible to merge local and remote ones.
> So i suggest the other way around, using the local mirror only as and
> synced gitorious one. In this scenario only local merges could occur
> and have to solved by the user, without administrator.
This is not the case right now and even if I do not see a problem.
Spacegit is like a second local repository and the worst think which can
happen is that the repository on gitorious has changed. In this case the
automatically push during the night will fail and the DFKI committer has
to merge it manually into the one on gitorious which is not necessarily
a bad think as someone has to look through the code committed by other
people before it is used by our projects. By the way Git is meant to be
used as local copy without a central server.

Alex

--
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik