[Rock-dev] Writing a plugin for Orogen

Charles Lesire-Cabaniols charles.lesire at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:35:32 CET 2012

Hi rock-devs,

I am trying to extend the standard orogen syntax by providing extra key
words. For instance, I would like to standardize an output port of my
system components by forcing its name to be 'system_state'.

I hence would like my users to use system_state('my_type') instead of
output_port('system_state', 'my_type') to avoid mistakes (as far as
possible).

I then decided to implement an orogen plugin.

Having a look at
http://rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/orogen/plugins.html, I tried
the simple example: I wrote a file with the first code snippet of the link,
and put it on install/share/orogen/plugins.

I then defined a new Orogen component with the instruction
add_boolean_attribute "test"

But after generating the code with orogen my_component.orogen, I found
nothing related to this boolean attribute!

What is wrong in the process I followed?

Charles.