[Rock-dev] GPSd-client Buildfailure

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias at goldhoorn.eu
Thu May 31 11:01:34 CEST 2012

On 31.05.2012 10:52, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 09:27 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
>> I take care about that, should be already fixed and build on
>> buildserver  is already restarted.
>>
>> Problem was caused by an to old version of libgps on debian ->
>> Interfaces was not compatible.
>> Added an version check in cmakelists and #ifdef't the codeblocks
> OK ... I started that thread on the wrong foot. My apologies.
it's ok...

> Let's start again.
>
> What I should have said is:
>
> "Do you know that the gps orogen project already has a GPSd-compatible
> orogen task (originally written by Alex) ? Given that
> drivers/orogen/gps is the project that defines GPS-specific types,
> just starting a duplicate project does not seem like a good idea.
>
> What I'd like to suggest is:
>
>  - for the time being, use the task in drivers/orogen/gps
>  - if you really feel like it, discuss how the refactoring should go
>    between the common typekit (with satellite info, ...) on the ML and
>    move the GPSDTask in your new project once that refactoring is
>    implemented.
>
> Thoughts ?"

I agree to this, for now the gps is absolut fine, simple not saw that
its also supports the generic devices.
In long term we could separate this, for now i remove the gpsd-client
from the build.

In long term we need to discuss about "generic" datatypes at all. We
have these (gps) cases where data types should not be defined within
package, and neither in base/types.

So i think we should start collection's of datatypes.
- MotionCommands
- EnviorementalTypes (gps, map infomation...?)
- ... ?

But i think this is not an discussion for now...

Matthias