[Rock-dev] Fwd: RE: Avalon's Middleware

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon Sep 17 10:57:25 CEST 2012

On 09/14/2012 12:11 PM, Jan Sliwka wrote:

> Sometimes it is just details like for example the fact that you are
> based Orocos. As a beginner I would go and read about Orocos and maybe
> say "/oh, that's so complicated, If I have to learn how to use Orocos
> and Rock I will never make it.../" ß this is just a simulation

Interesting point. I already saw people comment on "I'm using Rock and I
am reading this and that from the orocos documentation ...". The whole
point is that one does NOT have to read the orocos documentation ...

What do you think ? Would it be enough to simply stress that one does
not have to know Orocos to use Rock ? It is important to me that the
link to orocos is shown, as their work is very important for the
well-being of Rock.

> . Another detail (but you can't help it and I find it fine), there are
> two languages to which you have to integrate the code: C++ and Ruby.
> ROS uses only one.

True for the beginning, not true for more advanced projects (they often
need some Python)

> Anyhow, I am closely following your project.
>
> Tell me when you have a Pdf version of the manual.

Is there a reason why do you need a PDF version of the manual ?

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher

Space & Security Robotics