[Rock-dev] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: IMUSensor - temperature and inclinometers values

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Thu Sep 27 09:55:39 CEST 2012

On 27.09.2012 09:50, Alexander Duda wrote:
> On 09/27/2012 09:04 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:

>>> This seems to be most consistent with what we already have. Come to
>>> think of it I wouldn't even mind having an origin string field in
>>> the base::samples::Temperature type, as Matthias suggested.
>> One addition why i would like to have an origin field, the origin
>> field could be used for some user GUIs, that can be created automatic
>> an overview over all system temperatures, without needing the
>> gui-creation-user to know where temperature sensor is located, and
>> from what task they came and where the device for the task is located
>> inside the system. (for manual connecting gui-parts with tasks)
>
> I am against adding a description field as this is doubling the
> mechanism of the transformer.
> In general the transformer stack knows where each temperature sensor
> is located if the frame and static transformation is correctly set.
> Furthermore sending the same string over and over again, filling up
> our log files, has a bad taste.
>
> see
> http://www.rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/data_processing/transformer.html
> for more informations.
>

> Alex

But where is the association between the transformer and the
base::samples::temperature reading, there is no connection between then.
In case for the imu you could _assume_ that the temperature sensor is in
the imu. But i have other components that are spread over the system,
and can multiple temperatures. So i don't see the relationship to the
transformer. Okay you could use an transformation description to that
you can display the temperature sensor inside of your system in
vizkit3d, but the transformer also uses only strings, so if you add an
string the transformer could be used for this. But i don't see the point
that the string duplicates information....

  E-Mail:   matthias.goldhoorn at uni-bremen.de