[Rock-dev] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: IMUSensor - temperature and inclinometers values

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Thu Sep 27 10:50:19 CEST 2012

On 09/27/2012 09:55 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
> On 27.09.2012 09:50, Alexander Duda wrote:

>>> One addition why i would like to have an origin field, the origin
>>> field could be used for some user GUIs, that can be created
>>> automatic an overview over all system temperatures, without needing
>>> the gui-creation-user to know where temperature sensor is located,
>>> and from what task they came and where the device for the task is
>>> located inside the system. (for manual connecting gui-parts with tasks)
>>
>> I am against adding a description field as this is doubling the
>> mechanism of the transformer.
>> In general the transformer stack knows where each temperature sensor
>> is located if the frame and static transformation is correctly set.
>> Furthermore sending the same string over and over again, filling up
>> our log files, has a bad taste.
>>
>> see
>> http://www.rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/data_processing/transformer.html
>> for more informations.
>>

>> Alex
>
> But where is the association between the transformer and the
> base::samples::temperature reading, there is no connection between then.
Yes, there is. Just like every other sensor the temperature sensor
belongs to a certain frame which can be set with the help of the
transformer stack.

> In case for the imu you could _assume_ that the temperature sensor is
> in the imu. But i have other components that are spread over the
> system, and can multiple temperatures. So i don't see the relationship
> to the transformer. Okay you could use an transformation description
> to that you can display the temperature sensor inside of your system
> in vizkit3d,
You can use whatever widget you like to display the information. You
could even display/plot just the associated frame nam and the
temperature values.

> but the transformer also uses only strings, so if you add an string
> the transformer could be used for this. But i don't see the point that
> the string duplicates information....

The transformer uses port annotations to define the frame of each port.
It does not add any string to a sample. It also gives you a mechanism to
easily change the frame of your sensor without touching the component.

Alex

--
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik