[Rock-dev] mars_core removing of Depreciated Tasks: MarsServo and MarsJoint

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Mon Dec 9 10:21:58 CET 2013

Hi,

That was quite fast...

Actually I have a problem with the removal as the old Mars::Servo type.
It models directly the rock dynamixel driver, including an automatic
sweep mode, which is afaik not included into Mars::Joints.

Also "not so nice" is the fact that i have to provide a vector of
commands to a instance with a single motor (servo).

I see following options:

1) Re-Adding the Mars::Servo (evt. with different name (the driver it
models "Mars::Dynamixel"))

2) An additional package for deprecated orogen-mars-plugin types

3) A new package for mars plugins directly modelling existing drivers
"simulation/orogen/mars_driver_models"

4) Introduce the same structure for rock simulation drivers as for the
original ones (a single package for each Mars driver that directly
simulates a rock driver)

I'd prefer option 4) they can have single (rock) packages, as they are
not needed in the standlone mars. They model rock specific drivers and
are unlikely to be used without using rock.

Best, Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de