[Rock-dev] updateHook hanging (blocked?) when started via syskit

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Tue Dec 17 11:56:08 CET 2013

ah okay,
but btw.
you mentioned that the tasks are not within the same deployment.
the only Linux in responsible (if they are periodic) for the execution.
Try to start everything with run scripts (including logger) and with the
same-policy. You will get the same behavior like in syskit's start up.

So solve the issue try to use the solution Alex mentioned, if the camera
would take too long to acquire the images.
BUT i assume still you have a too high load on your system. Maybe you
have some high-speed sensors and sensor fusion components NOT within the
same deployment which leads into your problems.

Maybe there are ways to influence the system behavior, but for this you
need to identify the components that took your power.
You could use the task-scheduler, i added a new option for this to debug
execution times of tasks.

Summarize:
- make sure all high-speed sensor data within one deployment
- separate processing components from this base chain
- increase priority for important tasks
- take a look on the system LOAD (not only the most-consuming component)
- debug components with the scheduler (or any way you prefer)
- Make sure no TCP connection is active (Use MQueues instead of corba,
don't use the Task-inspector while debugging)

Matthias

On 17.12.2013 11:14, Elmar Berghöfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.12.2013 11:08, schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn:
>> On 17.12.2013 11:07, Elmar Berghöfer wrote:
>>> No it just was a replacement of the on-board robot PC by the laptop
>>> to make clear that it has nothing to do with performance of the
>>> on-board pc.
>> Who does the serial interface to the robot in this case. I assume
>>
>> - Laptop -> camera started
>> - Onboard-PC Serial interface for seekuhr
> no - Laptop -> connected to Robot controller (via usb-serial converter).
>
> Onboard PC not used in this scenario.
>
> Test should just figure out if the "quite" low performance of the
> on-board pc (even if theoretically should already be enough) is an
> issue or not.
> The Lapptop System has much more performance than the on-board pc.
>
> Regards
> Elmar
>

>> Right, and there you got the same scheduling problems?
>>
>> Matthias

  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn
  Space and Underwater Robotic

  Tel.:    +49 421 178 45-4193