[Rock-dev] Pile of bugfixes related to syskit on next (syskit users, please read)

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Tue Jul 23 17:04:56 CEST 2013

While adding new tutorials, I've come across quite a few bugs in syskit
that I fixed directly on next (since they are that: bugfixes).

Two of them could have some unintended side effects on your software:
 - bad interactions between some loading code-related stuff in Roby and
Syskit has been fixed. The problem that I fixed was that some loading
errors would be silently "eaten" by Roby's loading code... Which is more
than bad. I've did quite a bit of testing, but one never knows, so if
you do have a problem PLEASE DON'T HESITATE, TELL
 - overloading a definition in a profile could be done with

  profile 'Base' do
    define 'my', Compo.use(...)
  end

  profile 'Sub' do
    use_profile Base
    my_def.use(other_stuff)
  end

which is not only weird, but actually allows to create unintended
side-effects when one wants to do

  profile 'Sub' do
    define 'blabla', my_def.use(other_stuff)
  end

The proper way now to update a definition in a sub-profile is to do

  define 'my', my_def.use(other_stuff)

which is clearer and does not have the side-effects.

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher

Space & Security Robotics