[Rock-dev] Avi export for log files

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Mon Jun 24 13:46:51 CEST 2013

On 06/24/2013 01:16 PM, Fabian Franzen wrote:
> Hmm, i am not sure if this is the optimal solution... When I create a
> presentation quickly at 1 o'clock in the morning i normally doesn't want
> to look up ffmpeg commands or write a script to connect some exisiting
> tasks to do video encoding. ;-)
>
> I took a quick lock at the source code and noticed that rock-export
> uses the frame helper to export the images using opencv. OpenCV also
> provides a nice way to export and encode multiple pictures as mpg or
> h264 video...
We had some problems with hd images and OpenCV when converting to a video.

> Is there interest in a patch for rock-export that adds a way to
> directly export camera pictures to an h264 or mpg avi? If there is some
> interest, then i will try to add it ;-)
Sounds great. But for me this would be only a temporarily solution
because wrapping functions of an existing library (opencv) into second
one (frame_helper) just for interfacing with ruby without adding real
functionality has a bad taste. The same is true for putting libraries
into orocos components just for the sake of pushing log data into the
libraries.

In the long run my preferred solution would be to directly interface
opencv or other libraries with ruby. We are not there, yet. Therefore
your proposed solution might be a helpful tool for the next couple of
months. Nevertheless we have full OpenCV 2.4.9 bindings for ruby in an
experimental stage. As soon as we can release it rock-export would
directly use OpenCV to export frames as png,jpgs,avi,...

Greets
Alex