[Rock-dev] Fwd: Re: Robot visualization in Vizkit3D

Malte Wirkus malte.wirkus at dfki.de
Wed May 8 10:24:28 CEST 2013

Thank you all for your responses.

Back to my initial question: If you are interested in what I provided.
What I read from the responses, the majority says 'no', because there
are better file formats available or other libraries that might be used
for rendering.

Jakob's point is interesting:

 > I did a hack back then for mars models, which is in simulation/mars_viz.

So, something akin is already done. Then of cause it's not necessary to
use my software for ROCK. One could rather think about integrating URDF
support into the existing software.
Unfortunately I can't find it. That is maybe because I don't really know
where to look for it (I looked at
http://www.rock-robotics.org/master/pkg/index.html and used the search
functionality of the ROCK website).
As a ROCK newbie, I think it should be easier to find and use, even if
it's not perfectly aligned with the theories on how such a software
would look like in the optimal case. The reason for this is that I think
a robot visualization is, a quite essential _tool_ for people working
with robots.. as with most tools, it's better to have one than not
having one.

Best,

Malte