[Rock-dev] Rock news: Google+ vs. Tumblr

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Fri May 24 10:14:10 CEST 2013

We've been using Tumblr as the underlying place to store the news about
rock. This was fine so far, but there were some issues ... So I started
having a look at Google+ Pages as a possible replacement of tumblr, and
here is the pros/cons of both. I'd like to know if there are some
feelings about this ...

Tumblr
====
Pros:
 - customized look, the tumblr blog looks like the main Rock website
 - really blog-oriented
 - video posts are hard to format properly so that we see they are new
posts (e.g., they don't have titles)
 - easy integration with the main Rock website
Cons:
 - used by few people (or at least, less people than G+)
 - video support is really bad. The tumblr player is buggy, and there
are no option to create something looking like a YouTube channel (where
all the videos can be browsed)
 - few of the rock people have a tumblr account

G+
==
Pros:
 - great integration with youtube, among which the ability to get a Rock
YT channel
 - possibility to integrate some the G+ posts on the Rock website (also
a con, see below)
 - nearly everyone has a google account, and therefore can be given
rights to post about Rock on the Rock page.
Cons:
 - cannot make the G+ page look like the Rock website
 - integration of G+ posts limited (have to use a third-party widget
like http://www.gplus-widget.com/)

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher