[Rock-dev] csv_logger and rock-toolchain

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Wed Nov 13 09:46:43 CET 2013

On 13.11.2013 09:17, Alexander Duda wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 08:27 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
>> On 12.11.2013 20:45, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
>>> Hey. "Somebody" ;-) sneaked a csv_logger package in the rock-toolchain
>>> package set.
>> *here*
>>> In my opinion, rock-toolchain is a "toolCHAIN", not a "toolSHED" or a
>>> "toolSET". Meaning: it is designed to have tools that work together to
>>> form a whole, this whole allowing to solve the greater problem (in our
>>> case: building robots).
>>>
>>> This csv_logger really does not have its place. We already have a very
>>> well-integrated logger, and if a better csv export is required, it
>>> should IMO be in the form of an improvement of the CSV export of
>>> pocolog.
>> The problem there is that my "user" requests to have a logger for _A_
>> component (including input connections). Since this is not known in the
>> log's anymore i need to do this during runtime.  The csv_ logger is not
>> mentioned to replace the current one, as written in the desc. it's only
>> for debugging components with tools like matlab.
> The problem is that we are starting to have different workflows to do
> the same task. In your case I would really go for the normal logger
> and extend pocolog or rock-export to convert the log data to csv. This
> has the benefit that you can use all the infrastructore we have to
> inspect log files (rock-replaly, rock-convert etc.). CSV is just a
> very specific view on the logged data. And if you do not like the
> tooling everyone is open for improving our workflow (guis, etc.)
The problem here was that a first version (besides the missing
functionality regarding automatic handling of input_ports was REALLY
slow. (replay through ruby scripts). So i went for a alternative logger
implementation, that of course could be used offline too.

> I agree, that we lose the information about the connections if syskit
> is not used and I am open for any discussions to solve this issue in a
> generic way and not just for the CSV logging.
Then maybe we should start a discussion about logging the connections at
this point. I don't want to have influence on too much core components
for this logging functionality. As usual it needs to be done, and i
tried the most generic way without too much overhead.

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn
  Space and Underwater Robotic

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150