[Rock-dev] Metadata support for Tasks and Ports

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Thu Nov 14 14:04:48 CET 2013

I would like to start a discussion what kind of metadata would we
--rock-- like to support by default.

It is now possible to store metadata(string/string pairs) for:
- tasks
- configuration objects (Properties/operations/attributes)
- input ports
- output ports

These values currently stored within an property called "metadata" with
type "metadata::Component"
to make out life easier i would like to add default getter/setter
methods for types we planning to supports.
In the past there were several discussions reading type/units/ranges.

Possible would be:
- from,to (implementation quite limited because underlying is a
string/string rep.)
- default values for input ports
- scale to provide information to the UI
- Connected peers (that rock know (limited to established and released
connection from orocos.rb))
- ...

thoughts?

Matthias