[Rock-dev] Another base type required: MultiLevelLaserScan

Sascha Arnold sascha.arnold at dfki.de
Wed Nov 20 14:30:12 CET 2013

It was not intended to add the MultiLevelLaserScan class in its current
form to the base types. Among other things it breaks with our unit
conventions, like the LaserScan class.

Am 19.11.2013 15:50, schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn:

> why not using the LaserScan from base::Types here it has a slight
> overhead, but would simplify the usage...
> Then you would not need to use VerticalMultilevelScan anymore.
It was mainly the overhead why I didn't want to use the Laserscan here.
It would be possible to use the Laserscan as vertical scan instead, but
the Laserscan class itself needs some improvements. (in particular units
in meter and the error handling)
> The naming is even wourse, Vertical is missleading the scanner could
> be aligned in every direction.
Horizontal entries are verticals scans. But yes it is a bit confusing.

> Then what's the current angle of a MultiLevelLaserScan, the "Vertical"
> angle is represended within horizontal_angle and start_angle and
> angular resolution give's the "vertical" angle with the index.
>
> But why not coding the current angle for the MultiLevelLaserScan the
> same way.
> -> giving start angle and anglar resolution, the index then give's the
> current angle.
> This should be done in the same way like the normal LaserScan.
This comes from the fact that the velodyne has discrete vertical angles,
but non-discrete horizontal angles. And I simply didn't want to loose
any information in the raw type.
But it is anyway the question how a common 3D laserscan base type should
look like. It could be discrete in both directions, than a 2D distance
image should do. Or not discrete at all, or a mixed form like this one.