[Rock-dev] On ignoring exceptions ...

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Tue Sep 17 11:43:43 CEST 2013

This is a general programming issue

Catching an exception to ignore it is NOT something that should be done
lightly. It is a very important act which is hidden behind the fact that
it takes only (around) two lines of code to do. Why is it so important:
because ignoring errors, when not done at the right place, can lead to
'silent' problems that hit a lot later. Week-long debugging sessions,
here we are !

This is actually why I strongly prefer exceptions over all other forms
of error representation and handling: because they cannot be ignored _by
default_. One has to catch them explicitly.

A fact of the programmer's life is that it sometimes makes sense. Fair
enough. Now, because it is such an important act (am I stressing that
enough ?), please HEAVILY describe the rationale of this act in the
commit that pushes it to the mainline code. Don't be shy. If you don't
have enough arguments, it is probably that you should not ignore the
error in the first place.

Thank you in advance for reducing the length of everyone's debugging
sessions
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics