[Rock-dev] It is RELEASE Time

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 22:14:04 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Martin Zenzes <martin.zenzes at dfki.de> wrote:

> On 08/08/2014 09:24 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
>> Well ... Then we could at least make parallel releases, one "new
>> style" for the not-so-faint-of-heart-who-need-it-right-now (i.e.
>> spacebot, sauce) and one "old style" for those that don't want to have
>> to resolve the issues that will arise. I.e., let's not push a new
>> release strategy on all new users just because DFKI has two upcoming
>> competitions.
> I would do a -1 for using two parallel releases. There is no win
> (besides collecting some experiences). But it would double certain work
> and mote importantly confuse users.

My problem is: the new release style is currently half-baked, and that
*is* one of the most important thing project-wise. In addition, since
it will probably be far from perfect (given that the only description
of it we have so far is "let's branch everything"), we'll have to
change it in the future. Which means even more confusion.

So, yes, I would go for testing the new release style for Rock
developers while the users still use the old one. No confusion for the
users, and still allows to test the new release system and refine it
for those that really really want to go this route.