[Rock-dev] New type to represent 3D range measurements

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Wed Aug 20 00:19:49 CEST 2014

Am 19.08.2014 um 20:38 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux <bir.sylvain at gmail.com>:

> Two comments:
>  - the row/col terminology is really weird for such a data structure.
> Especially since 'rows' are vertical and 'cols‘ horizontal
I think the documentation is misleading. Rows are horizontal and cols are vertical. The naming is derived from matrices which are used to represent the data and is consistent with opencv and eigen data structs which can easily be constructed from this type. Therefore, for the sake of consistency I would keep the name even if vertical, horizontal might be close to the physical sensor.

Alex

>  - I would prefer that the name says that the scan is a polar
> representation. Scan3D feels wrong, but I don't really have a better
> one.
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Sascha Arnold <sascha.arnold at dfki.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just finished a first version of the new base type that can be used to
>> store 3D range measurements.
>> This is also the type that should replace the MultilevelLaserScan.
>>
>> After some discussion with Alex I extended my first version to allow
>> different configurations regarding the angular resolution between the
>> scans. It leads to a bit more overhead but it is more flexible. It
>> allows to have:
>> - horizontal and vertical regular angles or
>> - horizontal irregular and vertical regular angles or
>> - horizontal regular and vertical irregular angles
>> This allows to store data from different kind of sensors, like the
>> velodyne, vertical or horizontal mounted 2D or everything that provides
>> a distance image.
>> The information is stored in a single vector in a row major form to
>> simplify the usage as a distance image.
>>
>> Please have a look at the first version on my fork of base-types:
>> https://github.com/saarnold/base-types/commit/1796d23d002779639455d0ff3e4dd7876e404dad
>>
>> I'll write a pull request as soon as it is complete. My next steps are
>> to adapt the visualization and to write the logfile conversion for the
>> old type.
>> If someone has a concern with something in that type please report it
>> now. Later it will be hard to change anything.
>> The name is currently Scan3D and is also open for discussion.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Sascha
>>
>> --
>>  Sascha Arnold
>>  Unterwasserrobotik
>>
>>  Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
>>  DFKI GmbH
>>  Robotics Innovation Center
>>  Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
>>  28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>  Tel.:     +49 421 178 45-4197
>>  Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
>>  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
>>  E-Mail:   Sascha.Arnold at dfki.de
>>
>>  Weitere Informationen: http://www.dfki.de/robotik
>>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
>>  Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>>  Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster
>>  (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
>>  Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>>  Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
>>  Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB 2313)
>>  USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973
>>  Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3

Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik