[Rock-dev] New type to represent 3D range measurements

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Wed Aug 20 11:37:36 CEST 2014

So, which types should it cover?
LaserScan, DistanceImage and MultilevelLaserScan? What about the sonar types, they are also very similar.

> After some discussion with Alex I extended my first version to allow different
> configurations regarding the angular resolution between the scans. It leads
> to a bit more overhead but it is more flexible. It allows to have:
> - horizontal and vertical regular angles or
> - horizontal irregular and vertical regular angles or
> - horizontal regular and vertical irregular angles This allows to store data from
> different kind of sensors, like the velodyne, vertical or horizontal mounted
> 2D or everything that provides a distance image.
> The information is stored in a single vector in a row major form to simplify the
> usage as a distance image.
Instead of making it interface so complex, why don't you use two std::vectors which specify the spacing for each row.
The vectors can have either two elements (for start and end) or as many as the dimension has samples in the grid.
No need for the cumbersome configuration with width irregular height irregular a.s.o.
What would be good though is to specify if the dimension is angular (velodyne) or distance (tof).

Also I would try to minimize the use of the word laser in there. Especially in the member names.

Cheers,

Jakob