[Rock-dev] Checking out autoproj and autobuild by default on master

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:31:17 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Steffen Planthaber
<Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +1 for having them on master
>
> Couldn't the bootstrap script install the release gem to install and the
> rock.core package_set installs the "gem_package" from master branch at
> first update/build?

You guys are missing something. There's absolutely zero need for
building the 'master' gem anytime in the build process. The only thing
needed is to add tools/autobuild and tools/autoproj as a part of
rock.core. Once env.sh is updated and loaded, the checked out git will
prevail over the installed gem.

The release strategy question is interesting. In principle, I would
say no because we need to field test autoproj features *before* we can
use them in Rock (obviously), so we need at least to release the new
autoproj version ~1 month before we use the features in Rock. E.g. the
next release should hopefully use the version tagging features of
autoproj, which would then have to already be properly field tested.