[Rock-dev] using the vicon component

Martin.Azkarate at esa.int Martin.Azkarate at esa.int
Wed Jan 8 16:57:17 CET 2014

Hi there,

Happy new year to everybody.

We did some investigation and the error is not in the component not
finding the subject. The error comes from the fact that the Nexus software
does not calculate the coordinate system for the subject/segment in Live
mode.

If you look at the subject_segment_definition image attached you will see
there a coordinate system clearly defined for it. We are using a wand with
5 markers, 3 of them are labeled and used to define the segment coordinate
system and 2 markers are left unlabelled.

In the live_stream_data_SDKTest image you will see a snapshot of the Nexus
software running live (no capture process started) and another window
showing the output of a console application that is provided as a testing
program with the Vicon SDK v1.2. Note in this window that the Global
Translation and the Global Rotation Quaternion vectors for the segment are
all zero (which is an invalid quaternion value). Basically Nexus does not
calculate (in live mode) Global values for the segment but just positions
of markers. See position vectors for (3) labeled and (2) unlabeled markers
are properly calculated.

If you look at the output image of the test_vicon ruby scripts (attached
script with slight modification to include another reader for the
unlabeled markers port) you will see that it shows NaN for the translation
values of whole subject rigidbodystate type (wrong quaternion screws the
transformation matrix values) but it shows the same values we could see in
the live_stream_data image for the unlabelled Marker #0 (or Maker #1)
position values.

So, we've been told by some colleagues at ESTEC that in fact we need to
use the Vicon Tracker software to have this in live mode (the Nexus is not
enough), however I believe that when this component was developed in first
instance it was done using the Vicon Nexus, or that's what I was told. So
maybe we are missing something or we need to prepare the Nexus software to
calculate/provide this data in live mode too. Anyone using the Vicon
component nowadays can tell us how does configure/prepare the Vicon Nexus
and define the subject/segments?

We are using the Nexus v1.8.5, what version of Nexus are you guys using
for this?

Kind regards,

content is not permitted.