[Rock-dev] Flavours, freezes, updates

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Tue Jul 1 09:52:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 01.07.2014 09:25, schrieb Jakob Schwendner:
>> To reflect the two different cases, I would think of adding
>>     autoproj tag -> create a tag with the current state in autoproj/
>>     autoproj commit -> update the current buildconf to pin the current state
>> and commit in autoproj/. The workflow is the traditional update, fix bug,
>> commit
>
> Just a recap to make sure we understand the same things:
> autoproj commit - will take the a snapshot of the package in a buildconf, write the result to a refindex file, and may or may not (detail) call a git commit on the buildconf repo.
> autoproj tag - creates a tag on the current buildconf repo? Does this do anything more than calling the git tag? Maybe it would be fine then to just use the git command...

I think it should be as follows:

autoproj update - writes the local refindex (every time)
autoproj commit - copies the head of the refindex to the buildconf
autoproj tag - in case this is only a git tag: I would combine this with
autoproj commit and create the tag automatically when a autoproj commit
is used

When autoproj update writes the index, users may easily roll back to the
(working) state before the update in case "something broke". For this it
is essential that autoproj update writes the refindex every time.

Using autoproj commit you can opt-out the rolling releases at any time
you wish and on any branch. So we can keep also the rolling releases.
We can still name the states on the stable branch, but to use
"rock-stable" as release name we should rename the branch ;-).

Using the tags you can easily find and reproduce former states of the
software. This is only true for a complete snapshot of all packages, so
it it only useful directly after a autoproj commit. Both can be combined
into a single command.

Best, Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de