[Rock-dev] Github migration - almost there

Martin Zenzes martin.zenzes at dfki.de
Tue Jul 8 14:19:53 CEST 2014

On 07/08/2014 02:10 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Martin Zenzes <martin.zenzes at dfki.de
> <mailto:martin.zenzes at dfki.de>> wrote:
>

>     On 07/08/2014 01:53 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
>>     I don't like this, as in most situations people *want* the GUI.
>>     The nogui case is a special case. all packages including the GUI
>>     is the common case. Note that gui/vizkit was already part of
>>     rock.toolchain before the migration.
>     the embedded guys don't want to have anything to do with
>     gui-stuff. In my view: keep the minimal depedency-chain as short
>     as possible. otherwise people will start talking using words like
>     "bloated"
>

> Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but the embedded guys are far from
> being the "common case". Moreover, if you want to reduce the number of
> packages you install on your embedded system to a minimum (which is
> probably what you want), then having a metapackage is not what you are
> looking for. You want to pick packages one by one.
i'm not directly talking about the "autoproj metapackage", but the
underlying assumption that people *want* the gui. people are not the
only entities using the software. think about automated testing, for
example. headless robots are another case.

> Now, as a middle ground, where would a rock.core.nogui metapackage not
> fit the "embedded guy" case ?
in the way that "rock.core" itself implies (in my view) the "nogui"
part. "rock.core.gui" makes more sense.

none of my feelings are hurt just posted my opinion ;-)

--
M.Sc. Martin Zenzes
Space Robotics

Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen: