[Rock-dev] Github migration - almost there

Christian Rauch Christian.Rauch at dfki.de
Tue Jul 8 14:41:51 CEST 2014

Am 08.07.2014 14:10, schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Martin Zenzes <martin.zenzes at dfki.de> wrote:
>

>> On 07/08/2014 01:53 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
>>
>> I don't like this, as in most situations people *want* the GUI. The nogui
>> case is a special case. all packages including the GUI is the common case.
>> Note that gui/vizkit was already part of rock.toolchain before the
>> migration.
>>
>> the embedded guys don't want to have anything to do with gui-stuff. In my
>> people will start talking using words like "bloated"
>>

> Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but the embedded guys are far from being the
> "common case". Moreover, if you want to reduce the number of packages you
> install on your embedded system to a minimum (which is probably what you
> want), then having a metapackage is not what you are looking for. You want
> to pick packages one by one.
>
> Now, as a middle ground, where would a rock.core.nogui metapackage not fit
> the "embedded guy" case ?

Does this imply that two metapackages (rock.core + rock.core.nogui) need
to be maintained simultaneously? So, once changes are pushed in one of
the metapackages, they also need to be applied to the other metapackage.

What are the arguments against the rock.core.gui package that depends on
rock.core?

Regards,
Christian