[Rock-dev] Octomap Visualization Plugin

Gabriel Alcantara alcantara at poli.ufrj.br
Thu Jul 17 23:31:27 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I decided to face again the octomap visualization problem with vizkit and
tried the hints from Schwendner, basing the implementation on the envire
code.

Constructing each face and putting it all together on an array, like in MLS
visualization, grabs all my processor resources and crashes the entire
system, just like using osg:Boxes. I used an usleep() break so now I manage
to keep the ubuntu running smooth, but am still not able to visualize the
map. Comparing the octovis implementation and the MLS implementation, they
are very alike, one in OpenGL and the other in OSG. So mine code is, right
now, kinda of a merge of both.

I have two main questions then:

- In envire, how many boxes it is possible to render at once. I am trying
to render 1829134 cubes.

- Does anyone have any clue where can be the problem. The processors now
get busy some times but nothing bizarre like before, the memory keeps
stable.

The implementation with points, works, but I can only change the size of
all points together, what for the octomap structure isn't really good. And
they get a little odd when you have multiple directions.

Thanks in advance,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Gabriel Alcantara Costa Silva