[Rock-dev] Flavours, freezes, updates

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Tue Jun 24 11:23:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm against development in pinned commits for all packages, getting
bugfixes then requires attention on the developer side, monitoring all
the packages for significant updates.

For "user" workflow, increasing the usability of snapshots is, I think,
the better option.

As Sylvain mentioned in a side note, some people (including me) already
had a script to place a snapshot into a git repo to keep track of
snapshot versions, it's like tagging a whole checkout.

I just discussed with some colleagues of the project using the script
and we came up with following proposal:

1. The buildconf (aka: autoproj folder) gets a new branch "snapshots"
2. autoproj snapshot behavior changes to commit (and push?) new
snapshots to that branch and also changing the bootstrap.sh included
there to bootstrap only this snapshot
3. Getting the snapshot branch is possible by downloading the
bootstrap.sh from the desired snapshot (commit of the snapshot branch)
which creates a completely new bootstrap containing the versions of the
snapshot.

Getting a specific snapshot by a new bootstrap is not that bad as it
sounds. Pinned commits require the repo to be deleted and checked out
again anyways.

As far I understood git, checking out a specific commit of the buildconf
(done by the bootstrap.sh of the snapshot), creates a detached head in
the local repository, so it won't be updated, correct?. So the
bootstrapped snapshot won't be updated, even if someone calls "autoproj
update"

This way, several checkouts for different demo states can be
automatically available and can be started "on the fly" without
recompiling. As they have been bootstrapped before and can't be updated

Another idea was to give "autoproj update" additional parameters:
autoproj update snapshot -> get the head of snapshots branch
autoproj update 97f5e016b41a5b657a746feb4a7779e55c68e156 -> get specific
snapshot
But that would require autoproj to handle the rollback (delete and
freshly check out the specific commit) automatically

Best,
Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de