[Rock-dev] rock-users vs robotics.stackexchange.com

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Thu May 15 12:48:58 CEST 2014

> 	I agree. But I don't see why having rock-users as some sort of
> announce list would harm that point.
> 	It also allows to ask questions that don't fit the sx format, and have
> discussions, which is also not allowed on sx. I don't see a harm in using both,
> If we see it creates problems, we can always close rock-users and tell
> everyone to only use sx.
>

> Discussions about answers to a specific question *are* allowed. What is not
> allowed is an open-ended question.
Given our track record of discussions, they are likely to be open ended... :)

> Removing is always a lot harder than adding. There are always people that
> will get more used to mails than SX and therefore will push back against its
> removal.
>
> IMO, having both will lead to confusion: "I have a question to ask, should I do
> it on SX or on rock-users ?" which reduces the usefulness of both (since SX
> won't have the mails, you can't use it to check if your question was already
> asked).
How about this: ask all questions directly on SX as a policy, and use the ML as an announce system for the questions and other things. E.g. new features, releases, issues. And things that clearly don't belong on SX. ML is also nice, because you can see who we are reaching with rock.

Cheers,

Jakob