[Rock-dev] DepthMap: New base type to represent 3D range measurements

Sascha Arnold sascha.arnold at dfki.de
Thu Oct 23 13:15:04 CEST 2014

Hi,
after the last discussion about this new type on the mailing list we
collected some good suggestions to improve this type, for which I now
had the time to implement them.
The result can be found here:
https://github.com/saarnold/base-types/commit/4209f3d10f53acf71de4150e480079d9d88fc0dd

Mainly I'd like to have your opinion on the part where the angular or
planar resolutions are defined.
The type has now two fields
> std::vector<double> vertical_interval;
> std::vector<double> horizontal_interval;
which can either be an angle or a position on a plane. How the interval
is interpreted is selected by a projection type parameter. It is not so
nice to have only a double value which can be handled so differently,
but I think it is still the most practical way to represent planar and
polar depth maps in the same type. Using c++11 it would also be possible
to have an union of a base::Angle and a double.

I'll write a pull request as soon as the type is complete.
If someone has a concern with something in this type please report it
now. Later it will be hard to change anything.

Best regards
Sascha

--
  Sascha Arnold
  Unterwasserrobotik

  Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:Sascha.Arnold at dfki.de

  Weitere Informationen:http://www.dfki.de/robotik