[Rock-dev] Rock Release 1408

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:42:36 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Martin Zenzes <martin.zenzes at dfki.de> wrote:
> How man people (besides maybe a small number of core-guys) are using the
> branch on a actual system? I could imagine a number close to zero --
> changing the branch from a "working" checkout alone takes time, testing
> and bug-reporting as well...
Given that, doing this, the 'stable' would become 'the latest
release', it would definitely become the development branch for the
projects I manage. And it would have close to zero extra work since it
would be "the latest release".

I am really wary of the whole release thing. Would there be a document
explaining how it solves the current problems without adding new ones,
maybe I would not. It, *in addition*, adds new problems (the most
problematic being the complete inability to mix the release code with
in-devel code). It has been dropped as the solution to all the
problems, but nobody wrote down *how* it solves them and what are its
downsides.

But, at least, *I know how to work around the limitations of the
stable flavor*. To finish, I don't force anybody to use it.