[Rock-dev] orogen_metadata's future

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Tue Sep 9 10:51:46 CEST 2014

On 08.09.2014 22:47, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> orogen_metadata could have a bright future in Rock. It could be a very
> good tool to remove e.g. the transformer broadcaster (yuk), easily
> distribute transformer information as well as type sizes (for the MQ
> transport).
>
> It's a great idea, but currently it has not gone very far. There is
> only the very basics done (the data type -- which has an issue because
> it is incompatible with the CORBA IDL spec).
>
> So ... as always with these things there's the question of whether it
> should go into the next release. Janosch did put it in rock1408, but I
> would rather not. Especially since we should probably rename one type
>
> @Matthias: given that you are/were its biggest user, what's your point of view ?
So limes currently uses this only roughly too. The problem was that
because it's implemented as a property the calls to the metadata uses a
lot of time.
Since the metadata causes ugly config files and should be hidden in the
task-inspector. It vote for not putting it yet to the release.

A nice concept is would like to mention is the connection_tracking
(branch on orocos.rb), but unfortunately it makes the whole system
deployment 2x slower, and is also in a rough early state (no monitoring
of broken connection etc.).

I vote for putting in in the next release if the config-problem is
solved, and the metadata becomes a attribute.

Best,
Matthias

> Sylvain

  Matthias Goldhoorn