[Rock-dev] [RFC] Proposal for a new default camera manipulator in Vizkit3D

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Thu Feb 5 14:05:29 CET 2015

Hi,

We used to have the MatrixManipulator enabled in vizkit (allowing to
switch camera moced by number keys).

I think we can make your Manipulator the default, but add the "old" to
another key so users can easily switch modes.

Btw. I finally started to merge the 3d visualization of vizkit3d and
rock.simulation which ->could<- lead to a replacement of the OSG
subsystem in vizkit3d and also the camera manipulator handling. (which
will be capable of switching camera modes).

Best, Steffen

Am 05.02.2015 um 13:17 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> Using the camera for anything that is not a rover on a ground is a
> pain. This is due to [the behaviour of the terrain manipulator
>     https://github.com/rock-core/gui-vizkit3d/commit/3f8568dfa29b3b53eeb5284060b3faff5abcc402
>
> I've created an osg manipulator for vizkit3d that maintains the same
> mouse-to-movement behaviour but removes the constraints that are
> within the terrain manipulator. It is currently on a PR
>
>     https://github.com/rock-core/gui-vizkit3d/pull/11
>
> Basically, it makes vizkit3d usable for things that do not have a
> ground: the new rock-transformer tool
> (https://github.com/rock-core/gui-vizkit3d/pull/rock-core/gui-vizkit#18),
> free-flying systems (underwater, UAVs).
>
> I would like to propose to change the default manipulator in vizkit3d
> to this new manipulator. The various PRs I've created will allow
> people to revert back to the terrain manipulator either from the
> vizkit3d GUI or from their Ruby scripts.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Sylvain

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de