[Rock-dev] Cleaning up camera stack

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:39:09 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Alexander Duda <Alexander.Duda at dfki.de> wrote:
> Most of the parameters are static during acquisition. Therefore, it does not
> really make sense to query them over and over again.

Definitely not. What I had in mind was to query them at configure time
because knowing which value they had during acquisition is important.
Think about this scenario: camera stays up. Somebody uses the camera
GUI to configure it. Component starts with no extra configuration.
What is the configuration of your camera ? Moreover, I would not be
surprised that one can store a configuration permanently. Which means
that when you turn on a camera (that you are not using exclusively for
the last month or so), you just don't know what configuration it
actually has.

Now, given that querying each of them seems to take 3s, it definitely
does not seem feasible ;-)

> We could add a property with string pairs defining
> the values which are frequently checked and send out on a port and another
> one indicating that a full query shall be performed after configuration.

Agreed, querying the auto values regularly and putting them on a port
sounds like a good thing to do as well. The 3s query time sounds a bit
like a showstopper, though :(