[Rock-dev] Proposal for a Rock website redesign

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Wed Mar 25 16:05:16 CET 2015

Am 25.03.2015 um 13:58 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Steffen Planthaber
> <Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de> wrote:
>> I played a bit around with the github API to extract a package list using
>> js.
>>
>> Here is a first result:
>> http://planthaber.github.io/rock-package-list/packages.html
>
> Sorry if that sounds harsh, but could you explain what you are trying
> to achieve with this ?
>
> The main limitation I see right now is that github is *not* a reference:
>   - not all packages are hosted on github
>   - deprecated / unmaintained packages will be kept for the reason of
> reference / historical / keeping old systems running
>   - you can't make the difference between stable/master/deprecated packages
>   - not all packages are hosted on rock-* on github
>   - the autoproj configuration contains this information and more already

1. we planned to move the generated APIs to gh-pages
2. we planned to automate the package page generation
3. I proposed to try to use the github api

This was the test whether it is possible at all.

I already mentioned the master/stable issue in a mail before, also for
gh-pages.

Besides the page works for any github organization, the only thing
missing right now is autoproj to write the "information and more" to a
json file that can be uploaded. Changing the parser of the page is a
matter of minutes.

I also created the page for myself in order to have an overview on the
issues of the packages, this could also be added to
http://rock-robotics.org/status/

Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de