[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Place for the robot model and simulation scenes in the bundle

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:20:55 CEST 2015

Hi Raul. Thanks for restarting the discussion !

> I propose the paths below. Note that in the case of the SMURF robot
> models, the models are not only for simulation, therefore they should
> not be under a "simulation" folder.
Same comment applies to SDF models and worlds

> In-Bundle Robots:
> <bundle_root>/<robot_name>/model
Actually, why not ...

   <bundle_root>/models/<sdf|smurf>/<robot_name>

models/ is used only by syskit for now, but nothing forbids us to use
it for the robot description as well. The inclusion of <robot_name> at
the end would match the syskit naming convention (i.e. compositions
for a robot go in models/compositions/<robot_name>)

> In-Bundle Scenes (Mars) or Worlds (Gazebo):
> <bundle_root>/<scenes|worlds>/<scene|world_name>/scene|world
I am wondering about that one ? Shouldn't we stick to either "scene"
or "world" ? (even if the other's software use a different one)

> Out-Bundle Robots:
> <autoproj_current_root>/robots/<robot_name>/model
> Out-Bundle Scenes or Worlds:
> <autoproj_current_root>/simulation/<scenes|worlds>/<scene|world_name>/scene|world

For the out-of-bundle, I would really *install* them in a
standard-looking location.  Gazebo already has mechanisms to discover
and refer to models. So, for gazebo it could either be

   install/share/<package name>/sdf/<model_name>/model.config
or
   install/share/gazebo_models/<model_name>/model.config

Same general pattern for worlds.