[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Howto Reusing existing installation?

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:34:04 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 6:24 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn
<matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de> wrote:
> A while ago there was a way to reuse a existing installation in
> discussion...
>
> i would like to know if this was implemented and how it can be used.
It is implemented (been for a very long time), but poorly tested. It
gets a bunch of bugfixes every time I need it, which is twice a year.
It wouldn't be surprised that it works only with isolate_environment.

> I would like to have a 'full' master installation on my machine, and some on
> other branches or with reduced package-sets.
That won't work with the current implementation. Basically, when you
reuse a workspace, all packages that part of the "reused" workspace
won't get checked out and built in the new one. Note that doing it
otherwise would require to make sure that if you build a package in
the new installation, you build also all packages that depend on it.

> Is this possible and how?,
Source env.sh from original installation
Boostrap new installation with
   autoproj bootstrap --reuse

(NOTE: I think you can also use the standalone autoproj_bootstrap
script with --reuse. Not sure, though).

> Does it clone the gits from the origin but keep the github orgin as another
> origin?, how are gits handlet that not part of the 'source' installation?,
> how are non-gits handlet ?
It does not clone the gits that are in the reused installations.

If you want to create two separate installations, but checkout locally
(minimally hitting the network), bootstrap normally (you need the net
for that) and do

  aup --all --from /path/to/other/installation

If you want to save some disk space, you can also share the checkouts
by using the autobuild cache. Run
  autoproj cache /path/to/cache

and then add
   Autoproj.env_set 'AUTOBUILD_CACHE_DIR', '/path/to/cache'

to ~/.autoprojrc

(This definitely need to go in the next post of the rock tips&tricks serie)