[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Place for the robot model and simulation scenes in the bundle

Raul Dominguez Raul.Dominguez at dfki.de
Tue May 5 17:02:42 CEST 2015

On 04.05.2015 19:20, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> Hi Raul. Thanks for restarting the discussion !
>
>> I propose the paths below. Note that in the case of the SMURF robot
>> models, the models are not only for simulation, therefore they should
>> not be under a "simulation" folder.
> Same comment applies to SDF models and worlds
>
>> In-Bundle Robots:
>> <bundle_root>/<robot_name>/model
> Actually, why not ...
>
>     <bundle_root>/models/<sdf|smurf>/<robot_name>
>
> models/ is used only by syskit for now, but nothing forbids us to use
> it for the robot description as well. The inclusion of <robot_name> at
> the end would match the syskit naming convention (i.e. compositions
> for a robot go in models/compositions/<robot_name>)
That sounds even better (at least to me).

>> In-Bundle Scenes (Mars) or Worlds (Gazebo):
>> <bundle_root>/<scenes|worlds>/<scene|world_name>/scene|world
> I am wondering about that one ? Shouldn't we stick to either "scene"
> or "world" ? (even if the other's software use a different one)
I threw a coin and scenes won. Therefore:
In-Bundle Scenes (Mars) or Worlds (Gazebo) should go to
<bundle_root>/scenes/<scene|world_name>/scene|world

>> Out-Bundle Robots:
>> <autoproj_current_root>/robots/<robot_name>/model
>> Out-Bundle Scenes or Worlds:
>> <autoproj_current_root>/simulation/<scenes|worlds>/<scene|world_name>/scene|world
> For the out-of-bundle, I would really *install* them in a
> standard-looking location.  Gazebo already has mechanisms to discover
> and refer to models. So, for gazebo it could either be
>
>     install/share/<package name>/sdf/<model_name>/model.config
> or
>     install/share/gazebo_models/<model_name>/model.config
>
> Same general pattern for worlds.
I don't know how to do the *install* you mention. Can someone explain it
or point me to some doc?

My idea so far was to check the scenes from a repository and just place
them somewhere with all the other source code. I guess we still want the
sources of the scenes and robot models accessible to the programmer and
actually, in the case of the mars scenes they don't need any compilation
or installation. I don't know if mars also has this discovery feature.

Would it maybe be a good idea to have them in the install folder and
also in (<autoproj_current_root>/robots/<robot_name>/model and
<autoproj_current_root>/simulation/scenes/<scene|world_name>)/scene|world)
and keep them synchronized with autoproj?
> Sylvain
Raúl

--
  Raúl Domínguez (M.Sc.)
  Space Robotics

  Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftsstelle:

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   raul.dominguez at dfki.de