[Rock-dev] Rock and gcc 5 affects Ubuntu 15.10 & Debian Testing

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Wed Sep 23 09:38:53 CEST 2015

Hey Dev's,
it was planned to release rock15.10 after Ubuntu 15.10 was release to
make it compatible.

I just read that ubuntu15.10 will ship gcc5 by default.
There is (and will be no) gccxml for gcc5 which can be used by rock.

The castxml port is not completed so far.
The clang-importer is only part wise working, it is slower and does not
work with all packages.

Therefore we cannot support Ubuntu 15.10 and Debian testings anymore.
It seems no one has the time to really fix this importer issues.

Therefore i recommend to announce Ubuntu >15.04 and Debian testing as
unsupported.

If we cannot solve this problem, rock will get soon unsupported on all
major OSes.
We having no working solution for this problem, even clang is 'just' in
the master branch of rock and not enabled by default.

The importer-change has a large impact to rock, we need to prove new
solutions, it is already late, we should have right now a solution in
master which is enabled by default to make it working in the long run.

Are there some developers around that can actively work on a solution?

Best,
Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn